Here is an easy recipe for a Three Bean, Sausage Chili. You can make it super spicy or more mild. This recipe makes about 6 servings.
- 1-1/2 TBL Canola Oil
- 1 lb. (16 oz) Hot or Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Yellow Onion – chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 Green Bell Pepper - chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1-15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1-15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1-15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes.
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce.
- 1/2 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped.
- 1 TBL chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt to taste. (1-2 tsp.)
- 1 cup Sour Cream
Cook Sausage in one inch of water at a low boil for 5 minutes each side. Slice sausage into 3/4 inch slices. Add oil to dutch oven or large pot. Brown sausage slices for 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add onions and red and green bell peppers and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Add the canned beans and crushed tomates, along with the BBQ sauce, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour so the flavors will mix well. Add salt to taste. Serve in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
(If making for kids you might want to use Sweet Italian Sausage and leave out the Jalapeno.)
Hearty cookies packed full of rolled oats, chocolate and white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, pecans and shredded coconut.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant oats!)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3/4 cup craisins (dried cranberries) or raisins.
- 2 ounces semi sweet cholocate chips
- 2 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 12 Tbl (1-1/2 sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 1-1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In small bowl mix together oats, pecans, cranberries, chocolate and coconut.
- In large bowl beath together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixure, then add oat-chocolate mixture gradually.
- Roll 1/4 cup dough into ball and and place 2-1/2 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten cookies to 1-inch thickness with your palm.
- Bake until edges are just beginning to brown, but centers are still soft and puffy, about 20-25 minutes. Rotate sheets halfway through baking. The cookies will look raw in the center and seem underdone, but trust us on this one. Let the cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Makes 16 large cookies.
Adapted from Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal cookies with Dried Cherries from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.